Usually, curry uses chicken as the main ingredients. Some additional ones are garlic, pepper, carrots, mushroom, and potato. In authentic Jamaican curry chicken recipe, you will make gravy curry for dinner or special event. For your information, curry powder is important for this cuisine. You can buy it at the store. It is quite difficult to make curry powder on your own. Therefore, buying is the right way, and the next parts explain how to make curry chicken.
• 2-3 pounds chicken
• 1-2 cup curry powder
• 1 or 2 tablespoon garlic powder
• ½ tablespoon salt
• 1 or 2 tablespoon onion powder
• 1/3 cup fresh thyme
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 2 or more water
• 1-2 sliced potato
• 1 tablespoon black pepper
• 1-2 chopped carrots
• ½ tablespoon chili pepper
• 1 fresh ginger root
- Cut chicken into small pieces according to your preference.
- Prepare big bowl.
- Put chicken in a bowl and add curry powder, salt, onion, garlic, thyme, and pepper.
- Mix all of chicken and seasonings until they blend perfectly.
- Put aside to let chicken absorb remaining curry texture.
- Prepare big skillet and vegetable oil.
- Heat oil and add curry powder until it changes the color.
- Wait for three minutes then add chicken.
- Add ginger, carrots, potato, and chili pepper into skillet.
- Pour water into skillet to maintain the thickness.
- Simmer chicken until the gravy looks very thick.
- You can pick two choices. Firstly, remove chicken into the dish then wait until the gravy turns thicker. Then, pour gravy over chicken. Secondly, let chicken and gravy mix into thicker, but the chicken will be softer.
- Authentic Jamaican curry chicken recipe is ready to serve.
Cooking curry takes time and effort. It is less than normal because curry powder is ready and you do not have to create on your own. When chopping chicken, you have to avoid tiny form to prevent dissolved. An extended heating period in skilled will turn chicken into softer and subtle texture. Just remember the small piece will be difficult to recognize. This condition will ruin authentic Jamaican curry chicken recipe.
You may add more salt and pepper to increase the taste. Garlic and onion are two major seasonings, so add fresh chopped off them for a better result. Two options for finishing depend on what chicken texture you want to get. For softer chicken, pick the second option where gravy blends completely into the chicken. It is good when chicken size is medium. Other people love authentic Jamaican curry chicken recipe with less soft texture. For such preference, pick the first option. Therefore, curry chicken is ready to eat.