Stir-Fried Beef with Black Pepper Sauce, Peppers, and Onions
- 2 tablespoons of corn starch
- 1 pound of flap meat or flank steak, cut it into strips with the thick of ¼-inch
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1/3 cup of chicken stock with low-sodium
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper, use the freshly ground one
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 3 pieces of bell pepper, use the green one 1 and the red one 2, core and cut it into squares around 1-inch
- 2 cloves of garlic in medium size, mince them
- 1 onion in medium size, cut it into strips around 1-inch
- 3 scallions, use the whites only and mince them
- 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger, use the mince one
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons of canola or vegetable oil
- Put beef and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce into a bowl. Combine and toss them to coat.
- Let them marinate at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Let it up to three hours.
- Meanwhile, use the remaining sauce and corn starch. Combine and stir it using a fork in order to form the slurry.
- Add chicken stock, sugar, pepper, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Combine onions and peppers into a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine ginger, scallions, and garlic into a bowl. Set aside.
- Cook the beef on a burner by firstly heating 1 tablespoon of oil over high heat on a wok. Heat it until it is smoking and add half portion of beef. Cook for 1 minute without moving until it is well seared. Stir and toss for 1 minute until it is cooked lightly. Transfer to large bowl.
- Repeat by adding 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the remaining beef and cook. Transfer to the same bowl.
- Wipe the wok. Repeat by adding 1 tablespoon of oil. Add onions and peppers in half portion. Transfer to the same bowl.
- Repeat by adding remaining oil, onions, and peppers. Set wok over high heat until it is smoking.
- Return beef/onions/peppers to wok. Add scallion/ginger/garlic mixture.
- Cook, toss, and stir it for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add sauce. Cook, toss, and stir it constantly until it is thickened lightly for 45 seconds.
- Transfer carefully Chinese pepper steak recipe to the serving platter.
If you do not want to cook this recipe on a burner, alternatively you can grill it using a wok insert. If you choose this method, you will light the chimney with charcoal full. This way is more suitable for outdoor cooking. Either method you choose, the cooking time for this Chinese pepper steak recipe you need is same.