Well, if you think of one of the most popular Philadelphia foods, the original Philly cheese steak recipe is the answer. This is a recipe for all Philadelphians’ favorite. It is no wonder because this steak is very flavorful and delightful. In fact, every restaurant in Philadelphia always has this steak on the menu. It’s not even a restaurant if it doesn’t have this steak on the menu. It is so authentic that everyone is coming to Philadelphia always looks for this steak. As the name suggest, it involves cheese, a lot of cheese. And that is what makes this steak so delicious.
In every cooking session, you should prepare the ingredients first. For this original Philly cheese steak recipe, the ingredients are considered easy to find.
- 1 loaf French bread
- ½ kg of deli roast beef (sliced water thin). As alternative, frozen rib eye roast can also be used
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 white onion
- ½ kg of thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil to grill the steak
- ketchup or marinara sauce
- Let’s start the cooking of this original Philly cheese steak recipe by preparing a large sized sauté pan and place it over medium-high heat
- Add olive oil once the pan is hot
- Add bell pepper and onions. Stir them until caramelized that usually takes around 8 minutes
- Add pepper, salt, garlic and cook them together for only 30 seconds
- Then, continue by pushing the onions mixture to one side of the pan
- On the other part of the pan, add and cook the meat
- Continuously flipping the meat while cooking and chopping it slightly, so it becomes smaller pieces. This meat cooking session takes around 2 minutes
- Then, mix the caramelized onions and the meat together
- Divide it into two portions.
- Add cheese to the top of each portion and let the cheese to melt
- Cut the French bread in half
- Hollow out the white bread part from the inside
- Once the cheese is melted, flip over the sandwiches using spatulas and add the topping including the marinara sauce.
See also: Cube Steak Crock Pot Recipe – Easy Recipe for Beginner
The better the cheese you use, the more delicious the steak will be. Therefore, make sure to choose the high-quality provolone cheese for more flavorful original Philly cheese steak recipe.